Preparing for Injections
Preparing for Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin
- Two weeks prior to your treatment, avoid taking aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (Advil, Motrin, Aleve or Ibuprofen), Gingko Biloba, Vitamin E or fish oil supplements. These agents may increase bruising and bleeding at the injection site. If you require a pain remedy during this time period, it is ok to take Tylenol.
- Adding leafy greens to your diet will boost your Vitamin K and help to reduce the possibility of bruising and swelling.
- Arnica supplements have been shown to reduce discomfort, bruising and swelling from injectable procedures. Arnica pills may be started the day before or the day of treatment and should be continued until bruising has resolved. We carry Arnica supplements at Rejuvent and RejuventSkinCare.com
- A topical numbing cream may be applied to help with any discomfort. This does require a longer appointment time of an additional 20 minutes for optimal results.
- Bruising is possible and therefore, we recommend that you schedule any social plans accordingly for 7-10 days following your injection.
- While initial effects with the injection are visible in as soon as 3-5 days, you should expect your final results to be achieved 2-3 weeks after an injection.
After your Botox/Dysport/Xeomin appointment
- Do NOT have any type of facial massage or place your face in a facial cradle for a massage for 24 hours following your injection.
- Do NOT have any facial laser or electrical treatments for two weeks following your Botox/Dysport/Xeomin injection.
- You may resume your skin care program the same day as your Botox/Dysport/Xeomin treatment Makeup is also ok to wear the day of your injections.
- Following your injection, it is okay to work out and/or continue physical activities as usual.
Preparing for Fillers
Helpful TO-DOs before filler
To minimize the chance of bruising from the filler injection:
- Do not take any aspirin, ibuprofen or similar products (Advil, Motrin, Aleve) for 2 weeks prior to filler
- Avoid fish oil, Vitamin E, and gingko biloba for 2 weeks prior to filler
- Eat spinach, kale and celery the week before to boost your levels of Vitamin K
- Apply VitaMedica Arnica + K Cream to areas most affecting by bruising (around the mouth and under the eyes) for several days before injection. This contains Arnica and Vitamin K and is available for purchase at Rejuvent or at RejuventSkinCare.com
- Additional Instructions:
- Hydrate and eat a large meal before filler and bring a snack to eat right before the injection. It is important to have a full meal before a filler appointment. As the Doctors are performing multiple liquid facelifts per day as well as surgeries, there are times that appointments run over their scheduled time. The doctors are committed to you and will stay as long as is required to give you the very best result. It is helpful for you to bring a snack if there is a waiting period longer than expected.
- Clear your schedule after filler so you can take time to ice your face and relax
Be prepared to wash your face thoroughly at Rejuvent. At the end of the filler injection, sunscreen and liquid foundation (if appropriate) will be applied. If you would like additional makeup after filler, we suggest you bring some with you.
Let us know in advance if you are on a prescription blood thinner.
After your filler appointment
The important DO NOTs after filler:
- DO NOT work out the same day after the filler – the next day is okay
- DO NOT have a massage with face down for two weeks after filler
- DO NOT wear swim goggles for two weeks after filler around the eyes or cheeks
- DO NOT put on Retin-A or strong Retinols the night after filler – okay to resume the day after
- DO NOT take ibuprofen or aspirin for 36 hours after filler
- DO NOT have an important social event for 10 days after filler – you will look your best after filler at 3-4 weeks after the injection
To a speed recovery after filler injections:
- Apply ice immediately after filler, we will supply your first bag
- Cold gel packs are good too, if the cool lasts for 20 minutes
- Continue to ice for swelling and soreness for as long as necessary – especially in the morning
- Take orally – VitaMedica Arnica and Bromelain (available at Rejuvent and RejuventSkinCare.com) which will help with swelling and bruising – take as long as these are a concern
- Apply VitaMedica Recovery Cream to areas that are bruised or swollen
Best ways to maintain your new look:
It is best not to go more than 6 months between filler appointments. By maintaining this schedule you will not only be able to maintain your look, but also make continued improvements (when adequate amount of filler are placed). After two years of this type of schedule, the majority of patients will require less filler per visit than during the first two years.