How to Prepare for Botox, Filler and Spa Appointments
Before Your Appointment
Dr. Bomer’s Tip:
In the weeks prior to getting fillers or Botox, watch what you consume.
“It is best to avoid aspirin, ibuprofen and all other NSAIDS for two weeks prior to the procedure, It is helpful to eat a lot of leafy greens and celery prior to the appointment, as it will increase the levels of vitamin K, a known bruise preventer/reducer.” – Dr. Bomer, NewBeauty magazine.
Click on each section below and read what you should do before and after your appointment at Rejuvent to help minimize bruising, swelling, and redness.
Botox, Dysport and Xeomin
Preparing for Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin
- One week prior to your treatment, avoid taking aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (Advil, Motrin, Aleve or Ibuprofen), Gingko Biloba, Vitamin E or fish oil supplements. These agents may increase bruising and bleeding at the injection site. If you require a pain remedy during this time period, it is ok to take Tylenol.
- Adding leafy greens to your diet will boost your Vitamin K and help to reduce the possibility of bruising and swelling.
- Avoid eating apples or large quantities of garlic before your appointment.
- Arnica supplements have been shown to reduce discomfort, bruising and swelling from injectable procedures. Arnica pills may be started the day before or the day of treatment and should be continued until bruising has resolved. We carry Arnica supplements at Rejuvent and RejuventSkinCare.com
- A topical numbing cream may be applied to help with any discomfort. This does require a longer appointment time of an additional 20 minutes for optimal results.
- Bruising is possible and therefore, we recommend that you schedule any social plans accordingly for 7-10 days following your injection.
- While initial effects of the injection are visible in as soon as 3-5 days, you should expect your final results to be achieved 2-3 weeks after an injection.
After your Botox/Dysport/Xeomin appointment
- Do NOT have any type of facial massage or place your face in a facial cradle for a massage for 24 hours following your injection.
- Do NOT have any facial laser or electrical treatments for two weeks following your Botox/Dysport/Xeomin injection.
- You may resume your skin care program the same day as your Botox/Dysport/Xeomin treatment Makeup is also ok to wear the day of your injections.
- Following your injection, it is okay to work out and/or continue physical activities as usual.
Preparing for Filler Appointment
Helpful TO-DOs before filler
To minimize the chance of bruising from the filler injection:
- Do not take any aspirin, ibuprofen or similar products (Advil, Motrin, Aleve) for 1 week prior to filler.
- Avoid fish oil, Vitamin E, and gingko biloba for 1 week prior to filler.
- Eat spinach, kale and celery the week before to boost your levels of Vitamin K.
- Avoid eating apples or large quantities of garlic before your appointment.
- Apply VitaMedica Arnica + K Cream to areas most affecting by bruising (around the mouth and under the eyes) for several days before injection. This contains Arnica and Vitamin K and is available for purchase at Rejuvent or at RejuventSkinCare.com
- Additional Instructions:
- Hydrate and eat a large meal before filler and bring a snack to eat right before the injection. It is important to have a full meal before a filler appointment. As the Doctors are performing multiple liquid facelifts per day as well as surgeries, there are times that appointments run over their scheduled time. The doctors are committed to you and will stay as long as is required to give you the very best result. It is helpful for you to bring a snack if there is a waiting period longer than expected.
- Clear your schedule after filler so you can take time to ice your face and relax
Be prepared to wash your face thoroughly at Rejuvent. At the end of the filler injection, sunscreen and liquid foundation (if appropriate) will be applied. If you would like additional makeup after filler, we suggest you bring some with you.
Let us know in advance if you are on a prescription blood thinner.
After your filler appointment
The important DO NOTs after filler:
- DO NOT work out the same day after the filler – the next day is okay
- DO NOT have a massage with face down for two weeks after filler
- DO NOT wear swim goggles for two weeks after filler around the eyes or cheeks
- DO NOT put on Retin-A or strong Retinols the night after filler – okay to resume the day after
- DO NOT take ibuprofen or aspirin for 36 hours after filler
- DO NOT have an important social event for 10 days after filler – you will look your best after filler at 3-4 weeks after the injection
To a speedy recovery after filler injections:
- Apply ice immediately after filler, we will supply your first bag
- Cold gel packs are good too if the cool lasts for 20 minutes
- Continue to ice for swelling and soreness for as long as necessary – especially in the morning
- Take orally – VitaMedica Arnica and Bromelain (available at Rejuvent and RejuventSkinCare.com) which will help with swelling and bruising – take as long as these are a concern
- Apply VitaMedica Recovery Cream to areas that are bruised or swollen
Best ways to maintain your new look:
It is best not to go more than 6 months between filler appointments. By maintaining this schedule you will not only be able to maintain your look, but also make continued improvements (when an adequate amount of filler are placed). After two years of this type of schedule, the majority of patients will require less filler per visit than during the first two years.
Preparing for Your Spa Treatment
- Exposure to sunlight: Do not tan prior to or during your treatment series. Do not use topical tanning solutions prior to or during your treatment series, unless instructed otherwise. Follow your skin care program designed at Rejuvent, and keep skin protected from the sun. Use a sunscreen with a skin protection factor (SPF) of at least 30 DAILY. Stay out of the sun the day of your treatment.
- Skin care: Follow the skin care regimen that has been designed for you. If you are using Retin-A /Retinol products or any irritating agents, please stop use 2 days prior to your treatment. The day of your treatment, follow your normal skin care regimen, but please wear no makeup.
- Fever Blisters: Should you have a fever blister breakout prior to your treatment, please call our office immediately to reschedule. If the area being treated is prone to fever blisters, please call our office prior to your appointment and a prescription will be given in advance.
- Cosmetic Injections/Procedures: Please tell your certified laser technician about any previous injections to your treatment area. As a general rule, most injections should be done 2 weeks prior to your treatment.
- Dental Concerns: If your treatment area is around the mouth, please advise your certified laser technician if you have any dental crowns, caps, braces or other metal dental implants. These areas are more sensitive to treatment, and your technician may choose to use dental rolls, gauze or a tongue depressor to isolate the area to make the treatment more comfortable.
Post Treatment Care
- Exposure to sunlight: Keep the treated area well moisturized and protected from the sun. Every day, use a sunscreen with a skin protection factor (SPF) of at least 30. Stay out of the sun the entire time you are healing from the treatment.
- Makeup: Your skin may remain pink for 24 hours. You may apply makeup over the area for camouflage if needed. Youngblood Mineral Cosmetics is recommended for post-treatments and to complement your at-home skin care regimen.
- Activities: You may return to sedentary work and activities as soon as you desire. Avoid strenuous activities that produce sweating for 48 hours. Avoid saunas and steam rooms as well.
- Skin Care: Do not use any product containing AHA, or Retin-A for 2-7 days following your treatment. Please avoid scratching or picking the area being treated, as such behavior may cause scarring or infections.
Before any appointment, be sure to visit Rejuvent’s Monthly Specials Pages:
Sign up for our Newsletters and never miss a special again!
Rejuvent Newsletter Signup at: Rejuvent Newsletter
RejuventSkincare Newsletter Signup at: Rejuvent Newsletter
(receive 20% coupon for your first online order!)
– You may unsubscribe from either newsletter at any time.
Not a Rejuvent Scottsdale Patient Yet?
For any additional questions, or to schedule your complimentary consultation call Rejuvent at 480.889.8880, or fill out a contact form.
Rejuvent is located in Scottsdale, Arizona and conveniently located near Paradise Valley, Cave Creek, Tempe, Mesa and other areas of Greater Phoenix.
Shop Before Your Appointment – Buy products to minimize bruising and swelling.
Nothing compares to Rejuvent!
“I have been coming to Rejuvent for years and had both Dr. Bomer and Dr. Bouzoukis inject my filler and Botox. They are both fantastic! I also am a club member and have spa treatments with Emily every month. My skin is beautiful and I am thankful for the outstanding care I receive at Rejuvent.”