Aging Skin Treatments & Solutions
Is your skin changing as you age?
Can you slow down some of these changes?
Did you know that your skin loses moisture, strength, elasticity, support, and the ability to protect itself from the environment as you age? Some of the transformations that aging brings can cause a chain reaction and accelerate your skin aging, but with Rejuvent’s expert help, the right skin care regimen, and proven skin treatments, you can prevent, slow down and even reverse some of these changes.
What happens to your skin as you age?
As you age, your skin goes through several changes that contribute to its aged appearance. Here are a few important ones:
Your skin’s texture becomes rougher. This happens because as you age the cell turnover rate slows down from an average of 28 days to about 30 to 40 days, this means that dead cells build up on the skin. This makes the skin feel rougher. While your skin is shedding cells at a slower pace, another set of changes causes a cascading effect with dramatic results. Your body slows down its production of Hyaluronic Acid, Natural Oils, Collagen, and Elastin and this contributes to many aging changes such as fine lines and wrinkles.
Your skin becomes dehydrated and dry. This happens because your skin loses and produces fewer lipids (protective oils) which create a protective barrier. Without this protective barrier, your skin can’t hold moisture and protect itself from the sun, wind, and pollution. Your skin also produces less Hyaluronic Acid which provides moisture to the skin. So, in essence, your skin produces less moisture and loses moisture more rapidly.
Your skin loses elasticity and its structure gets more fragile. As you age your skin decreases its production of collagen and elastin which contribute to a weaker skin structure and less elastic skin. Over time the existing collagen and elastin fibers get weaker, more brittle, and provide less support to the skin causing wrinkles, thinner skin, sagging skin, skin that it’s prone to bruising, and more vulnerable to environmental damage.
Below your skin, you lose fat and bone volume. The loss of fat below the skin results in sagging skin, sunken eyes, loss of contours, and a hollow appearance. The bone loss below the fat and muscle creates further hollowness and shadowing. Bone loss around the mouth and chin can cause puckering of the skin around the mouth. Bone and cartilage loss in the nose can cause the tip of the nose to droop and can accentuate the bony structures in the nose. Bone loss around the eyes, cheeks, and temples can result in sagging skin, sunken eyes, and a skeletal appearance.
Aging Skin Treatments in Scottsdale
For any additional questions, or to schedule your aging skin treatment in our Scottsdale medical spa, call Rejuvent at 480.889.8880.
Rejuvent is located in Scottsdale, Arizona, and conveniently located near Paradise Valley, Cave Creek, Tempe, Mesa, and other areas of Greater Phoenix.
Aging Skin Treatments at Rejuvent:
- Improve skin texture
- Improve skin moisture
- Boosts collagen and elastin production
- Improve discoloration and pigmentation
- Tighten sagging skin
Aging Skin Results
Improved skin texture, faded pigmentation, better skin tone, and radiant skin
How can we help Aging Skin at Rejuvent?
At Rejuvent, our doctors and aestheticians have the right treatments, and procedures to help you deal with your skin at any age. A combination of injections, aesthetic skin treatments, and medical-grade skincare can help you achieve healthier and younger-looking skin.
Aging Skin Aesthetic Treatments:
- Volumizing Dermal Fillers
- Botox and Wrinkle Smoothing
- PRP Facial with Rejuvapen Skin Booster™
- HALO Laser
- BBL Clear Acne Treatment
- FotoFacials IPL
- Rejuvapen (micro needling)
- Chemical Peels
- Medical Facials
My skin looks better than ever!
“Emily has me on a skin treatment schedule that has transformed my skin. I have regular Rejuvapen, FotoFacial, and Chemical Peel treatments and my skin look better than ever. The texture is amazing, my hyperpigmentation is under control, and my skin looks and feels a lot healthier. Thank you, Emily!“
What are the Causes of Skin Aging??
Our skin, the largest organ in our bodies is a complex living community that undergoes a major transformation as we age. Some of these transformations are pre-programmed by our DNA, some occur due to our behavior.
There are 2 ways our skin ages, intrinsic and extrinsic.
- A decrease in Collagen and Elastin production – causes wrinkles, sagging skin, loss of elasticity, dilated capillaries (redness)
- Cellular turnover rate slows down – causes dead skin build-up, clogged pores, dull and rough skin
- A decrease in blood flow – causes nutrients to be delivered less efficiently
- A decrease in hair follicles and Sebaceous glands – causes a compromised skin barrier, loss of lipids
- An increase in Melanin production – causes dark spots, discoloration, uneven tone
- A decrease in fat in the facial fat pads – this accentuates wrinkles since there is less fat to support the dermis
The primary features associated with intrinsic skin aging include:
- Dry skin
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Large pores
- Pigment changes (hyperpigmentation, dark spots, discoloration, uneven tone)
- Thin and transparent skin
- Loss of underlying fat
- Reduction in bone mass
- Decreased healing ability (starting in our 30s as the cell turnover slows down)
Intrinsic and Extrinsic Aging
Yes, we can help your skin look healthier!
- UV Exposure is the number one culprit. UV rays penetrate the skin and damage skin cells and decrease collagen and elastin production. It is a major trigger of free radical damage and can be prevented by the use of sunscreens, and limiting sun exposure.
- Pollution-free radicals cause damage to collagen and elastin
- Smoking or second-hand smoking – causes chemical changes in the skin, which accelerate the aging process, and significantly reduces blood flow to the skin which reduces skin cell turnover and healing.
- Stress – causes inflammation in the skin, suppresses immunity, aggravates acne
- Expressions – Repetitive facial movements and expressions can cause wrinkles and fine lines. Every time you contract a muscle on your face it affects the skin and causes a groove, eventually, this groove can become a wrinkle or an expression line
- Sleep Lines – these are formed when you sleep on your side, these wrinkles start on the surface of the skin and eventually become permanent
- Poor nutrition – lack of certain vitamins can expedite the extrinsic aging
- Sugar in the diet – sugar binds to collagen and elastin (glycation), which makes them less functional.
The primary features associated with extrinsic skin aging include:
- Skin cancers
- Benign skin tumors
- Dry skin
- Deep wrinkles
- Pigment changes and raised lesions
- Skin roughness (Leathery skin)
- Laxity (loose skin)
- Abnormal blood vessels and spider veins
- Sebaceous (oil) gland lesions/growths
- Flattening of the epidermis and a loss of underlying dermis or subcutaneous fat
- Glycation, cross-linking of collagen & elastin
Research has concluded that intrinsic aging is only responsible for about 15% of our aging, which means that the other 85% is controllable by what we put on our skin, by what we eat, and by how we behave!
At Rejuvent, we have the tools, products, skills, and knowledge to help you achieve your healthiest skin at any age. Products rich in ingredients such as Retinol, Antioxidants, Peptides, and Growth Factors can be perfectly combined to help improve your skin’s health, reduce the damage already incurred and prevent accelerated skin aging. Skin treatments such as Chemical Peels, IPL, Microneedling, PRP, and eMatrix Fraxel Resurfacing can revert many aging skin concerns and unveil younger and healthier skin.
To maximize results, in addition to skincare and skin treatments, one should limit sun exposure, and eat a diet high in vegetables, healthy fats, and low in fruits and sugar.Schedule Your Skin Consult